Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Circa 2000

Just some days back i'd to babysit some of the neighbourhood kids while their moms celebrated Makar Sankranti. I decided to pass the time giving them some 'gyan' from Panchatantra, Aesop's Fables and all such stories with a moral (What's happened to me??).

Here is a succinct summary of the storytelling session I had. To cut long stories short (pun intended) I have only mentioned the various fables I told them while detailing their comments. You must remember that all of my audience was between 4-7 years of age.

The story of the hare and tortoise

"We've heard of this story before. Its so idiotic! Y didn't the tortoise wear skates like in Dhoom2??"

"I don't know dear. Ok I'll tell u all another story."

The story of the thirsty crow

"Yuck who wants to drink water with stones in it?? He should have used a straw, shouldn't he didi??"

"Well yea maybe he shud hav. Donno y he did't. Ok this story I bet u dont know atall."

The story of the talkative tortoise

"But y did they hold the tortoise on a stick?? They could have made a swing from some big leaves like banana leaves and the tortoise could sit in it!"

"I guess they could have done that. Um ok listen to this one its a very good story."

The story of the fox and the grapes

"Shee!! He could have brought grapes from Food Bazar! My mom always gets grapes there in any season!"

"There wasnt Food Bazar in the jungle idiot. But he could have stood up on a big stone na didi?"

"I suppose so. I wasn't there to find out y he didn't! Ok i'll tell u one more story!"

The story of hidden treasure

"Kya didi??! Didn't those ppl have metal detectors to find treasure? They wudn't have to dig up the field then!"

"What year did u say the stories wer written?"

"Very very long ago dear. When animals could talk."

"Then they are very old now. We should have new exciting stories with computers and mobile phones in it! Can u tell us some of those?"

"Not today. I'll find u some like those and tell u some other time"

End of storytelling session. Confused me (Should I become more techno-savyy or should Aesop brush up on his tech-skills??). Excited Kids ("Didi tells even older stories than granny!"). Maybe I'll tell them a spoofed version of Merchant of Venice or Cinderella suitable for 21st century. Maybe they r ready for Sidney Sheldon already!!

Are the animals of Panchatantra forests listening? Pls apply to me next time u r in some difficulty. I know some very smart kids who'll email u the solution or scrap it to u on Orkut!!!

1 comment:

amazing archie said...

what can i say chait..theyr kids of the i-pod n orkut century !!!