Sunday, April 22, 2007

Pictures speak 1000 words but...

Every once in a while my mom's overtaken by the "cleaning bug" and she raids my cupboards and drawers to clean them out. And everytime that happens I gather bits and pieces of the "garbage" tht she finds to be put away as memories!!

When this occasion came up yesterday, I chanced upon a copy of Marian Notes, the school magazine on whose editorial team I was. The picture of us, the editorial team smiling at the camera reminded me of tht day when it was taken. We were unable to decide where exactly to take the pic...indoors in the library or outdoors 'underneath the mango tree' (only Marians of my batch will understand this pun)! So...getting back to the pic...we were the first editorial team that ended up with 3-4 pics of ourselves in different moods i.e. serious in the library...giggly in the garden and straightfaced on the school ground!!

Then I also happened upon a copy of Aavishkar...the magazine I edited for CSI's regional convention, Innovate'06. It was fun to read through it all over again. And surprisingly I couldn't solve the crossword I set in it...tho i'd made it myself!! (Some would say 'kya idiot hai' to this!) But it felt nice and satisfying to know that I still liked the articles I chose for it! And relief perhaps at knowing my taste hadnt changed drastically over the year!!

Apart from these I found a bunch of Rhythm brochures, my first sheet of Engineering Drawing and other odds and ends. What did i do with these u'll ask? No, I didnt stuff them back in the cupboard. Its here that I shud mention my 'memory album'. An idea that hit me in 10th std when I realised that everything about milestones in my life cannot be captured in photos. Sometimes u dont even have a camera to do tht!!

So i started collecting and storing other stuff like restaurant bills autographed by frends with whom I went there, bus and train tickets, birthday candles, movie tickets, entry tickets of places like Esselworld and Planetarium, i-cards of various conventions, friendship day ribbons, brochures of festivals, magazines like Marian Notes & Aavishkar and lots of other bits and pieces of different ocassions. There's even a friend's assignment I tore in a fit of rage and a broken plastic knife...a remnant of a friendly 'battle' at a friend's place [:D]

It sometimes makes me feel like a clairvoyant, who puts her hand on those things whenever she wants to remember that time, and can clearly recall the event in her mind then!! Like the title says...a picture may speak 1000 words...but my memory album speaks 1000*1000 words!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This really inspires people to have such "memory albums" of their own!

In times like this where people are moving so fast that most forget the small but significant incidents in their past, a way for them to capture those moments forever.. A true trip down memory lane.