Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Random Ramblings

Lately and mainly bcos i've been giving so many exams; i've had lots of little anecdotes happening around me leading to many small thoughts. Since they individually don't merit a separate post each, i decided to put them in a single post! So here they r.

1. Call foiled

Did u ever receive any of those very irritating marketing calls? The ones that try to sell u everything from a post-paid connection to a loan? And have u banged the phone on them in frustration? Well my dad got one such call from some bank the other day. The caller enthusiastically described hw good their bank was in giving loans and asked if dad was interested in taking one. Dad promptly replied he was...since we are looking at best options of education loans for me currently! Guess wat...the caller himself hurridly kept the phone citing lack of information available with him currently as the reason!!! Have we hit on a better way of foiling marketing calls or wat??

2. What foreign language?

Hav u read the story of a scholar coming in to Akbar Badshah's court and challenging Birbal to finding out his native language? Well Birbal just threw cold water on him in the middle of the night when he was asleep and he cried out in Bengali...which was his native language after all!! My point is if some1 throws cold water on me this way I'm more likely to cry out "What the hell!!" in English than something in Marathi which is my native language. So hw come I've to giv TOEFL?? Maybe ETS shud change their testing procedures??

3. User Friendly

I always thot all tht Software Engineering was a load of theory that u'd to yawn ur way thru for exams. Bt wen it came to doing the BE project it turned out true! Not being able to get others to work ur project is acceptable bt getting frustrated at ur own project for not being user friendly is atrocious!! So thinking abt the USER as all those text bks advise, I included a user manual in my documentation. Any non-engineer cares to certify my project as user friendly??


4. No paste, just cut!

My undergraduate life was 4 years long. Agreed I didn't do any earth shaking stuff in this but still it was long enuf. Long enuf to cover 3 pages of SOP (for the uninitiated its Statement of Purpose) and perhaps more if i'd written abt all those things I enjoyed in engg which good SOPS dont carry (i'm talking abt the cultural fests and all!). Bt then came the small box on univ app forms and I'd to stick to mu porpose. Cut a 'the' and another 'a' and and even the part abt Bubble Gums (thts for those who read my SOP!) even while keeping up that la-di-da language and then success!! Word Limit Achieved!! Maybe I shud hav made AutoSum a little better, wud sure hav saved me a lot of work (or added to the SOP tht this sop was summarized with my undergrad thesis report)!!!


5. Already missing life!

By nw every1's blog posts must be flooded with nostalgic thots...yea yea i liked Atharva enjoyed life here bt I'm gonna miss the little things most. Like standing in line for filling sem forms. And eating vada pav in break near Vidyalankar (tht duznt make me a petu!). Also sitting on the steps to study and xeroxing assignments to copy! I guess this list will be more detailed and complete this time next yr bcos i'll kno all tht i've missed till then...so check bak!

No comments: