Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Do-Something-New-Everyday Project

So I'm back in Gainesville and settled in the new apartment. As decided earlier I wanted to start a time bound project for 4 months to enjoy the Fall sem to the fullest. After a lot of brainstorming and soul searching (well not really) I came up with the Do-Something-New-Everyday project - the DSNEP

So I'm gonna start with yesterday's activity since DSNEP started yesterday (not a very good start for the project to blog late about it but always look ahead :D )

Yesterday I assembled a chair by myself!

What is so great about this you ask? Well firstly for a Mumbai gal like me, furniture shopping means going to the store and picking out what I need, paying for it then coming home to wait for the shop people to deliver it home either all assembled and ready-to-use or assembled by them when it is delivered.

The Workshop course in engineering was pretty much a joke because by the end of it I learnt 3 things -
  • Crying sometimes helps you get your way - I got out of having to do a lot of metalwork that way.
  • Rats like living in wood shavings - I remember screaming a lot in this class for this particular reason.
  • Pretty journals earn lots of marks - We wrote a huge file for workshop with lots of hand-drawn pictures of tools we never saw and the neat and pretty files got high marks in workshop (not the neat and pretty workshop artifacts!).
Add to all this the fact that I have never actually played much with Legos and my primary source of knowledge on Lego blocks is Vamsi.

So taking all of the above in consideration I didn't know how to put together anything except perhaps jigsaw puzzles and source code.

My chair however came from Walmart in a million pieces... well ok I won't exaggerate but about 10-12 pieces. It was fun screwing together the various parts and slowly building the whole chair. I built the seat portion and backrest portion separately so when the seat was done I was thrilled to sit on it and spin around! Ofcourse I tested it first by putting all my soft toys on the seat before I myself sat on it :)

Even more exciting was sitting on the chair when the whole thing was ready. The smell of a new chair and the thrill of having assembled it myself was a new and nice experience!

I have to give out a few credits here though.

First a large credit to Nikhil for helping me get my study table and chair home. Then again to Nikhil for helping me build the study table on Sunday. He did about 80% of the work on it and I learnt about assembling stuff by watching him. The table literally was in a million parts with so many screws and bolts but Nikhil pieced it together very fast! Hooray for mech. engineers!

Also credit to Divya for helping out with the table. She started the initial struggle with me before Nikhil came and took over the assembly job.

But credit for assembling the chair I can claim all for myself! Lesson learnt from this: Scissors can replace a screwdriver if one isn't available!

Another DSNEP for tomorrow coming up soon...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is too hilarious. especially the part about the soft toys. I can just image the turtle and the dog rotating on it. Anyways it was not a good testcase for the chair. :)