Friday, August 21, 2009

The Chaitali/??? Project

So its "haven't blogged in a long time" time again. This time I won't bother explaining why but I will certainly mention 2 internships in 2 biggies (Intel, Google), shifting from coast to coast then state to state, a trip to India and several power vacations to great places!

Sadly Twitter and FB didn't work very well. I guess I ain't the micro-blogging kind of person. But I'm back! And hopefully will be around for longer this time.

So this post is an inspiration from Julia and Julie (or was it Julie and Julia?) - a movie I saw recently. The Julie/Julia project got me thinking that perhaps I should also start a time-bound project for something apart my normal work. It'd give me a higher purpose in life (now wasn't that a good dialog?) and probably lead me to fame like it did for Julie Powell. Ofcourse I have a shortened timeline of 4 months or 120 days in the Fall sem and this is after counting in the vacations or exam days!

But what am I good at?

Cooking? I like Indian food but not enough to work my way through Sanjeev Kapoor's book and blog about it. Besides the thought of trips to Gainesville's Indian store everyday and lugging back groceries in the bus is dizzying. Maybe we could have the Megha / Chaitali Project since I know Megs' recipes better!

Then ambigrams? There isn't really a countdown here when making ambigrams. Perhaps using Facebook as a base might help. 196 ambigrams 120 days to go! Boy am I glad I got off Orkut. 400 friends 120 days to go... I might as well become a fulltime ambigrammar!

Coding? That is my main occupation but I enjoy it so maybe it qualifies for this project! Julie picked up one of the most popular books as aid for her project. What would I pick here? Cormen? 120 days, god-knows-how-many exercises to go! Well it'd be a very popular blog for sure since it'd show up in every Google search for "Cormen solutions". I'm sure that is searched very often! (considering I've done that search myself so many times :| )

There is actually another thing I've gotten good at recently. Moving! I've been shifting houses every sem since coming to US a year and half ago. Regency Oaks, Tuscan Bend, Elan Village, Bowe Avenue, Pacific Inn and Tuscan Bend again!

I've become extremely fast at packing and unpacking. I know all the best deals and tricks to shipping stuff. I know all about U-Haul services. I can make an exact list of initial groceries and household things to setup a new place. Basically I can get a house up and running in just about 2 days of shifting into it!

Unfortunately it isn't something I can countdown to for this project. So I suppose I'm out of ideas for now. Any ideas for the Chaitali / ??? Project? Hopefully I'll come up with something soon!

5 comments:

M said...

My suggestion: Pick a book a week and review it. That way you will get awesome reading done and writing about it will ..well.. help you write better..

or even better: netflix! a movie a day and blog about it. in the style of movie reviews :)

Ash said...

Wow!!You write well Chaitali.Talking about you being Famous like Julie and Julia..You dont have to try much..your project "hardwork" in college gave u some amazing marks plus a lot of public appeal(most juniors seniors and classmates know u as the best student..)
U rock anyways..:)

Chaitali said...

@Mandar

Watching movies everyday isn't very appealing to me either :) (I know u and a bunch of other ppl think it should be) A book a week sounds promising...I'll stick with it if I can't come up with something better.

Chaitali said...

@Ash
Thanks for the compliments! But this is really something to do besides coding and studying :P

Unknown said...

well chai...i have a good suggestion...start either playing outdoor sports...if u have lost too much of weight then stay indoors & start drawing & paiting..u cud showcase ur modern art skills...:D